Latest News: Latest papers and talks/conferences will appear here; older archived news located here:
- Hot article in Analyst - David's review entitled 'lluminating disease and enlightening biomedicine: Raman spectroscopy as a diagnostic tool' with Dave, Lorna and Steve is just out in Analyst and is already a 'HOT Article'! Well done all.
- Three Peaks Challenge - Dave and Nik and doing the Three Peaks Challenge this month for CRUK. A great challenge and I hope you'll support them via JustGiving.
- Topical Issue in ABC - Topical issue on Metabolomics and metabolite profiling recently published Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 450(15); guest editors are Rainer Schuhmacher, Rudolf Krska, Wolfram Weckwerth, Roy Goodacre.
- Welcome Abdu - We are very pleased to welcome Abdu Subaihi who has started his PhD this week in the group on chemical imaging.
- Protein unfolding and Raman spectroscopy - Victoria's paper is in the latest issue of Analytical Chemistry and can be read here. This study details the developments of Raman spectroscopy for investigating protein unfolding in glycosylated versus glucan-free proteins.
- Welcome Drupad! - Welcome to Dr Drupad Trivedi who started with us yesterday. Hope you have a productive time in Manchester.
- Jo’s Manchester 10K challenge - Jo Denbigh is running the Manchester 10K and fund raising for The Christie. Good luck Jo and Dave (her running partner). Please support them here: http://www.justgiving.com/JoDandDaveB
- DPA paper published - Dave's paper in Analytical Chemistry on detection of dipicolinic acid – as biomarker for spores – is now published. Read all about it here.
- Congratulations Toria - Well done to Dr Victoria for passing her PhD viva. We wishing her all the very best with her new job.
- Data fusion - Congratulations to Yun and Elon on your nice data fusion paper being recently accepted in Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry. Nice collaboration where data from volatile organic compounds and small molecules, both from meat spoilage, can be fused using multiblock principal components analysis and correlation analysis and Bayesian network analysis. The link to this paper will [...]
Software: We have developed a data analysis tool called PyChem. This is a new open source chemometrics package in Python. Read all about it in Bioinformatics. For those interested in Matlab our code for cluster analysis with code can be found here.
Metabolomics: This is an exciting dynamic research area that is gaining momentum and we are pleased to announce:
Society: The Metabolomics Society promotes the growth and development of the field of metabolomics globally.
Interest group: Metabolic Profiling Forum
Future Meetings: Metabolomics 2013 1-4 July, Glasgow, Scotland UK.